[Scons-users] If you package SCons for a distribution (ubuntu, debian, macports, etc) please read
Bill Deegan
2017-10-02 23:58:34 UTC
Greetings,

Is anyone using the packages produced by running: python bootstrap.py?
Or are you unpacking the .tar.gz for releases and using that?

I'm looking to simplify bootstrap.py and if nobody uses the logic in there
to build packages, then I'll drop it. (This would not affect SCons'
ability build such packages, just using them as part of our release process)

Thanks,
Bill
SCons Project Co-Manager
Ryan Schmidt
2017-10-03 03:45:47 UTC
In MacPorts, we install scons by downloading the source code tarball from SourceForge, then building it the same as any other python module, using setup.py.
Russel Winder
2017-10-03 05:30:59 UTC
Post by Ryan Schmidt
[
]
In MacPorts, we install scons by downloading the source code tarball from
SourceForge, then building it the same as any other python module, using
setup.py.
Given the SCons repository move to GitHub, I would hope that all future
tarballs would have their primary location on GitHub, that Sourceforge will
just be a legacy location. In any event, even with the PyPI/pip emphasis,
installation for MacPorts, Debian, Fedora, etc. by explicit installation using
setuptools should always continue to work.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200