[Scons-users] Node.FS get_path not working correctly?
Daniel Moody
2018-05-28 04:18:56 UTC
It seems if I use get path with a file this is outside of the base build
dir or I try to get a path relative to a dir that is in the base build dir,
get_path just returns the abspath?

The function comment seems to suggest it would be relative:

def get_path(self, dir=None):
"""Return path relative to the current working directory of the
Node.FS.Base object that owns us."""

Let SConstruct be:

import os

env = Environment()
test_file1_node = env.File(os.path.abspath('../outer/testFile1.txt'))
test_file2_node = env.File(os.path.abspath('./inner/testFile2.txt'))
test_file3_node = env.File(os.path.abspath('./inner2/testFile3.txt'))
print(test_file1_node.get_path())
print(test_file2_node.get_path())
print(test_file3_node.get_path('./inner2'))

I get this as output:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
C:\Users\Daniel\workspace\test\outer\testFile1.txt
inner\testFile2.txt
C:\Users\Daniel\workspace\test\base\inner2\testFile3.txt
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: `.' is up to date.
scons: done building targets.

Any ideas? I have a pull request to fix it if it is a bug.
Bill Deegan
Daniel Moody
2018-05-28 22:47:14 UTC
Ok but that's not the case in my example. Seems like it should have a
special case if it's on another drive, which then it does return the
abspath, because there is no relative path.
Bill Deegan
Bill Deegan
Daniel Moody
2018-05-28 23:04:18 UTC
Well specifically I am looking at this the test/Java/JARCHDIR.py test,
where there is a comment that seems to be running into this issue:
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/master/test/Java/JARCHDIR.py#L86-L99

Looking at the jar.py tool:
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/master/src/engine/SCons/Tool/jar.py#L64-L68

jar.py assumes that it will get a relative path from get_path(dir), but it
doesn't always as is the case in the JARCHDIR test.
Post by Bill Deegan
I mean relative..
Bill Deegan
Daniel Moody
2018-05-28 23:15:16 UTC
The test makes itself not fail by writing t.class in two different places,
which doesn't make sense and is solely to make the test not fail (as
described in the comment).
Post by Bill Deegan
Is the test failing?
Post by Daniel Moody
Well specifically I am looking at this the test/Java/JARCHDIR.py test,
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/master/test/Java/JARCHDIR.py#L86-L99
Looking at the jar.py tool: https://github.com/SCons
/scons/blob/master/src/engine/SCons/Tool/jar.py#L64-L68
jar.py assumes that it will get a relative path from get_path(dir), but
it doesn't always as is the case in the JARCHDIR test.
Post by Bill Deegan
I mean relative..
Bill Deegan
2018-05-28 23:17:21 UTC
Is that behavior still true about jar ?
Post by Daniel Moody
The test makes itself not fail by writing t.class in two different
places, which doesn't make sense and is solely to make the test not fail
(as described in the comment).
Post by Bill Deegan
Is the test failing?
Post by Daniel Moody
Well specifically I am looking at this the test/Java/JARCHDIR.py test,
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/master/test/Java/JARCHDIR.py#L86-L99
Looking at the jar.py tool: https://github.com/SCons
/scons/blob/master/src/engine/SCons/Tool/jar.py#L64-L68
jar.py assumes that it will get a relative path from get_path(dir), but
it doesn't always as is the case in the JARCHDIR test.
Post by Bill Deegan
I mean relative..
Daniel Moody
2018-05-28 23:23:51 UTC
I am not sure what specifically you are referring to.

The jar binary has the -C option which means the next argument is treated
relative to the -C value passed. SCons jar.py tool tries to give jar what
it wants by using get_path to get a relative path from the directory that
will passed to jar to be relative to. The issue is that in some cases,
get_path does not return a relative path.
Post by Daniel Moody
The test makes itself not fail by writing t.class in two different
places, which doesn't make sense and is solely to make the test not fail
(as described in the comment).
Post by Bill Deegan
Is the test failing?
Post by Daniel Moody
Well specifically I am looking at this the test/Java/JARCHDIR.py test,
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/master/test/Java/
JARCHDIR.py#L86-L99
Looking at the jar.py tool: https://github.com/SCons
/scons/blob/master/src/engine/SCons/Tool/jar.py#L64-L68
jar.py assumes that it will get a relative path from get_path(dir), but
it doesn't always as is the case in the JARCHDIR test.
Post by Bill Deegan
I mean relative..
Bill Deegan
2018-05-28 23:27:45 UTC
I'm a bit fried from a long bike ride, perhaps u can hop on IRC?
Post by Daniel Moody
The test makes itself not fail by writing t.class in two different
places, which doesn't make sense and is solely to make the test not fail
(as described in the comment).
Post by Bill Deegan
Is the test failing?
Post by Daniel Moody
Well specifically I am looking at this the test/Java/JARCHDIR.py test,
https://github.com/SCons/scons/blob/master/test/Java/
JARCHDIR.py#L86-L99
Looking at the jar.py tool: https://github.com/SCons
/scons/blob/master/src/engine/SCons/Tool/jar.py#L64-L68
jar.py assumes that it will get a relative path from get_path(dir),
but it doesn't always as is the case in the JARCHDIR test.
Post by Daniel Moody
Ok but that's not the case in my example. Seems like it should have
a special case if it's on another drive, which then it does return the
abspath, because there is no relative path.