[Scons-users] Swift builder?
Andrew C. Morrow
2018-09-21 16:20:11 UTC
Hi all -

I was curious if anyone had tried (or better, succeeded) at creating an
SCons Builder for Swift. If so, any results you can share?

Thanks,
Andrew
Mats Wichmann
2018-09-22 23:28:38 UTC
Post by Andrew C. Morrow
Hi all -
I was curious if anyone had tried (or better, succeeded) at creating an
SCons Builder for Swift. If so, any results you can share?
Thanks,
Andrew
there are several more modern language (Swift, Go, Rust come to mind
certainly, and maybe the Clojure world) that don't have any support in
scons git.

I'd suspect contributions of such would be welcomed...

"But there's a build system that works just fine for that language".
Well... plyglot projects where different pieces are built in different
languages may not be able to make use of a native build capability (like
Golang has, for example).
Andrew C. Morrow
2018-09-23 14:25:57 UTC
Some work has been done by Bill Deegan to add Go support, but it is not
entirely completed. I believe cgo support is the missing piece.

I'd expect Swift to be not too hard, given that `swiftc` is an LLVM
front-end, but I'm sure there will be surprises.

Generally, I think the languages that come with an integrated package
manager / build system / dependency manager like go and rust are going to
be harder, since SCons doesn't really control or see the whole graph.
Perhaps SPM for Swift is the same deal, but I don't know much about it yet.